The Cathedral Church of Christ, Liverpool, designed by the then-22-year-old (later Sir ) Giles Gilbert Scott’s, is built on St. James’ Mount at the southerly end of Hope Street Quarter. Bishop Francis James Chavasse, second Bishop of Liverpool, decided to build it in 1901 and King Edward VII laid the Foundation Stone on 19 July 1904. The Cathedral was consecrated twenty years to the day later, but not until October 1978 did Queen Elizabeth II attend a service to mark completion of the largest of our Cathedrals in Britain. And now the civic value of St James’ Cemetery and Gardens is also recognised.
See more photos of Liverpool’s Cathedrals and celebrating communities on Hope Street here [Liverpool’s Two Cathedrals] and below….
Read more about:
Hope Street Quarter
St. James’ Cemetery And Gardens
The Friends of St James’
Liverpool’s Two Cathedrals
Dame Elisabeth Frink (1930-1993; Risen Christ was installed was installed one week before Frink’s death)
Tracey Emin (b.1963; Emin’s Cathedral work, Roman Standard – or ‘bird on a stick’ – was her first public art installation; she intends to do another one for the cathedral in 2008)
See also photgraphs at
Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King and
Calendar & Camera .